Thursday, May 16, 2013

The First of Many, the Impact of Ocarina of Time

As an aspiring writer and editor, I have to talk about things I love, and besides books, video games have had just an important an impact on my life as anything else. I've been playing them for over 20 short years now, and let me say, while I will never be able to play them all, the ones that I have played have been some of the best games that the both consoles (and more recently) PC have had to offer.

I intend this blog to be an attempt into the ever changing world of video games through the lens of a 25 year old gamer. I hope to shed some light on some of the inner workings through impact, content, performance, and many other ways in order to highlight certain aspects that might not be apparent to others. Most of these games I will review has been on single playthroughs or files exceptions permitting of course. 




While not necessarily the first game I played, my first love of video games came with the advent of The legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time. I have played this game numerous times at different points of my life, most recently with the 3ds port introduced last year. This game has had an impact on me from clothes that I wear to the replica master sword leaning against my wall to buying tickets to see Symphony of the Goddesses at the Greek Theatre. I see myself as that much of a fan. Zelda pretty much permeates my life, and that's ok. Knowing the schism between fantasy and wish fulfillment, I can pretty clearly make a distinction between my daydreams and the rest of my life. 



Today's post will be about impact as this is my first ever blog and I attempt to engage you pleasantly while you otherwise browse Reddit or wait in line to see Star Trek Into Darkness. OoT (Ocarina of Time) not only won numerous awards when it was introduced but has remained one of the best games of all time. I had briefly played a neighbor's copy of Link to the Past for the Super Nintendo but did not own it until the GBA port in 2002. Thus it was the first Zelda that I had actually played completely. Having a 3D universe at the palm of my hands (the controller was big, but never as gigantic as the original Xbox of which I could not hold properly via my tiny hands) opened up a world of possibilities, expanding my imagination and interestingly putting my frame of reference in a male child and adult's perspective. From a 9 year old's tomboy's psyche  this seemed natural. I have unfortunately never played Metroid at this point, and so was used to the standard suspension of disbelief of putting myself in their shoes (or hover boots in this matter). It wasn't until I was older that I even questioned such issues when I discovered that more males were gamers than females "Video games were fun, why wouldn't everyone be playing them?!" I thought. It's one of many other issues with the gaming industry and community, and will be discussed more generally as a whole later. 

 Nevertheless, I was (and still am) happy with how Zelda impacted my life from then on. The friends I met, how it's encouraged me to have more confidence in myself, the search for a job to create more of what I love, and the idealist notions of trying to make a difference in other's lives through video games all came down to the meeting between a girl and a cartridge.


As a side note, while I can only speak on things in my own perspective, I hope to discuss things in as neutral manner as possible when it comes to more tremulous topics. I will not censor my opinion, but I fully respect the right to the other sides opinions and will deal with such as a gentleman in a top hat and monocle. Good day to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment